Artists in Residence 2022-23: Recording Your Demo
A self-directed program to allow emerging musicians to concentrate on their artistic development while working towards the completion of their own demo. The residency is an opportunity for participants to dedicate time into their music career they may not have had in the past two years. With the effects of the first and further shutdowns and restrictions still rippling through the performing arts industry, artists need more support than ever before to restart their journey.
Over the six months of the residency, they will have the flexibility to structure their time around the needs of their project, while receiving artistic and career advice from mentors, including professional musicians. Participants will also have access to industry-specific seminars with other residency participants.
Later into the residency they will meet with industry experts in audio recording and work with them to complete their demo. The residency will wrap with a live performance by all of the participants to share their new work.
What the Program Offers
- Weekly one-on-one mentorship meetings
- To gain expert advice, critique and support
- Group seminars/workshops
- To encourage a strong sense of collaboration and support
- Covering aspects of funding proposals, resources and self-promotion
- A supportive group to act as a sounding board for your project
- Performance opportunity to showcase your new work
- Professional recording workshop to complete your demo recording
Who Should Apply?
This program is ideal for individual musicians who have composed songs and have minimal experience in live performance but have not yet recorded a professional album.
Participants should be able to work self-directed in an unstructured environment to benefit most from the program.
How to Apply
You can apply using this form here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfv4qwrI-sc8aHY-Dz2dSPzE6RuW0cH...
Or you can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
Part One: Written Component (Can be in Inuktitut or English)
1. Tell us about yourself.
2. How many songs you have composed and performed?
3. Describe of your musical style.
4. What effect music has had on your life?
5. What you hope to accomplish with the completion of your demo?
References: Get 2 references to write us a reference letter or a phone call.
Part Two: Portfolio
Three samples of your music. Examples: a video of a live performance, self-recorded audio, etc.
Participants will be impartially selected on the basis of the content in their submitted application. Along with artistic merit, consideration will be given to whether the program would be beneficial to the artist’s work.
All Applicants will be notified of their application outcome as soon as the selection process is complete.
- Technology Support
- Participants will meet with Qaggiavuut to discuss their needs to be able to participate in the online portions of the program
- Internet Allowance
- Travel (flights, stay and per diem)
- Travel to Iqaluit for final performance
- Travel to recording studio (location TBD)
- Professional studio recording session